World Journal of Dentistry

Register      Login

VOLUME 4 , ISSUE 1 ( January-March, 2013 ) > List of Articles

RESEARCH ARTICLE

The Perception of Stress among Clinical Dental Students

Khalid H Al-Samadani, Ayman Al-Dharrab

Citation Information : Al-Samadani KH, Al-Dharrab A. The Perception of Stress among Clinical Dental Students. World J Dent 2013; 4 (1):24-28.

DOI: 10.5005/jp-journals-10015-1197

Published Online: 00-03-2013

Copyright Statement:  Copyright © 2013; Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd.


Abstract

Objective

To determine the prevalence of stress among clinical students from Faculty of Dentistry, King Abdul Aziz University, Jeddah.

Materials and methods

A cross-sectional descriptive study was carried out in May 2012 on fourth, fifth and sixth year clinical dental students from Faculty of Dentistry, King Abdul Aziz University, Jeddah, using a modified form of dental environment stress (DES) questionnaire. A total of 353 questionnaires were distributed and incomplete questionnaires were excluded from the study. SPSS version 15 was used to do statistical analysis.

Results

A total of 353 students were asked to complete the questionnaire and 232 (65.7%) responded; of these 120 (51.7%) were males and remaining 112 (48.3%) were females. More or less all the students were having stress. In male students severe stress was due to difficulty in getting suitable patient (51%) and the patient who were arriving late or not coming on appointment, p = 0.16, whereas in female they were having severe stress due to fear of failure (59%), p = 0.02, examination and grading (57%) and completing examination requirement (52%). In male, amount of academic overload was also main cause of severe stress (p = 0.03). Sixth-year students were having more stress due to amount of overload (59.1%), lack of time to do assigned work (53.4%), difficulty to get suitable patient (71.6%) and patient arriving late or not coming on appointment (64.8%). Fifth-year students were more stressed due to completing examination requirement (65.7%). Fourth-year students were having more stress due to fear of failure (58.4%) and examination and grading (58.4%).

Conclusion

The finding of this study show some considerable degree or severe stress among the students. Longitudinal studies that include preclinical dental students should be carried out to know how the pattern of stress varies during preclinical and clinical training period.

How to cite this article

Al-Samadani KH, Al-Dharrab A. The Perception of Stress among Clinical Dental Students. World J Dent 2013;4(1):24-28.


PDF Share
  1. An assessment of academic stress among undergraduate students: The case University of Botswana. Educ Res Rev 2009;4(2):63-70.
  2. Work place, dimension, stress and job satisfaction. J Managerial Psychol 2003;18(1):8-21.
  3. Factors affecting stress among Indian dental students. J Dent Educ 2003;67:1140-48.
  4. Dental students’ perceived sources of stress: A multi-country study. J Dent Edu 2009;73(5):631-39.
  5. Perceived sources of stress amongst Indian dental students. Europ J Dent Educ 2009;13:39-45.
  6. Survey of perceived stress-inducing problems among dental students, Saudi Arabia. Saudi Dent J 2010;22:83-88.
  7. Perceived sources of stress among Greek dental students. J Dent Edu 2005;69(6):687-92.
  8. Burnout among the clinical dental students in the Jordanian Universities. J Clin Med Res 2009;1(4):207-11.
  9. Stress in the library work place. New Library World 2007;11(12):561-64.
  10. Dental students’ a longitudinal study of Greek dental students’ perceived sources of stress. Int Dent J 2010;74(5):524-30.
  11. Perceived sources of stress among dental students at the University of Jordan. J Dent Educ 2001;65:232-41.
  12. Prevalence of stressors among female medical students, Taibah University. J Taibah Univ Med Sc 2010;5(2):106-15.
  13. Stress, burnout and health in the clinical period of dental education. Eur J Dent Educ 2005;9:78-84.
  14. Psychological well being and perceptions of stress amongst Japanese dental students. Eur J Dent Educ 2005;9(1):17-25.
  15. Canadian dental students’ perceptions of stress and social support. Eur J Dent Educ 2008;12(3): 144-48.
  16. Perceived sources of stress in Nigerian dental students. Eur J Dent Educ 2006;10(1):20-23.
  17. Perceived sources of stress within a dental educational environment. J Contemp Dent Pract 2005;6(4): 64-74.
  18. Stress and its relief among undergraduate dental students in Malaysia. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 2011;42(11):996-1004.
  19. Curriculum and sex-specific differences in academic stress arising from perceived expectations. Int J Human Soc Sci 2011;6(1):63-66.
  20. Psychological stress and health in under-graduate dental students: Fifth-year outcomes compared with first-year baseline results from five European dental schools. Eur J Dent Educ 2008;12(2):61-68.
PDF Share

© Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) LTD.